the golden age of accountability


my new boss rohan and i were discussing the flight from australia to the states and he said the best thing about it was that it was 16 hours when no one could reach him or ask anything from him.
that made me sad because it's absolutely true. We've reached an age of hyper-communication, which has led to hyper-accountability and responsibility.
i could turn off my cell or not check my email, but with the standards of availability we've set with our communication technology capabilities, it's virtually irresponsible not to be available unless it's physically impossible for you to be so, e.g., on an airplane.

this all brings me to business cards: it's become standard practice to put your cell (or 'mobile' in Australia) number on your business card. They haven't made up my new Active Network business cards yet, but i have zero desire to put my cell number on that card. Why would i want clients to be able to reach me 24 hours a day? My job is not who I am, it's what i do to pay my bills. It's not like i'm healing sick kids or saving the rainforest: I build online registration forms for people hosting endurance & sporting events.

am i being juvenile?

Comments

  1. This is completely irresponsible of you. Luckily, cell phone companies are working with the FAA to grant cell phone coverage on airplanes, so you can be reached there as well. And don't forget the phone in the back of the middle seat, with the credit card swipe. I think you owe it to humanity to sacrifice yourself for our convenience. I don't think it's hyperbole to say that the world will literally come to an end if I have to wait for you to eat, sleep, or eliminate before responding to my Twitter tweet.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wedding pics/story are here

Singapore: the durian taste test

evolution of y'all