Arizona, part 3

Day 4

Up early and on the shuttle towards Kaibab trail. By the second day I had surrendered my will over to the will of the shuttle routes, and had much more serenity as a result. Left the car at the campsite all day.



 

Went down Kaibab trail into the canyon, maybe 3 or 4 miles and back out. Spent a good deal of time resting and staring into the canyon. The most amazing thing was, since it as a partly cloudy day, watching the canyon walls change color before my eyes as the sun ducked in and out of clouds.



After the trail, I'm exhausted, and go back to the tent to take a nap. Then I begin the long shuttle route journey from my campsite to the west end of the park to watch the sunset. By shuttle, it can take hours to get from one end to the other, with several bus changes.

I watch the sunset from one of the most western viewpoints in the park, and its remoteness makes it much less crowded than watching from the visitor center overlook as I did last night.



Then, long shuttle ride back, and to bed.

 Day 5

On my way out of grand canyon in time to catch a few good sunrise pics.
Stopped at a deli near Cameron to get a Breakfast burrito and watched a stream of construction workers follow me while I ate. Aside from tourists in the national parks, I've seen almost no caucasians since being in AZ.

Then a long drive across AZ towards Chinle and canyon de chelly. Along the way I stop through monument valley, which is a wide open valley with some crumbling rock spires. 



Also, I'm pretty sure I saw a chupacabra running along the side of the road, but I didn't get my camera out in time to get a picture. Next time.

Canyon de chelly does not allow hiking, so I just stop along each lookout and snap a few pics. At literally each lookout (about 12 in all) there says a different pickup truck with a different native American with a different set of wares to sell. pottery, necklaces, rock carvings.



Finally, to the last motel one my journey.

Day 6

stop off a Hovenweep national monument on the way home.



Despite its name, there were no witches brewing potions in bubbling cauldrons. Was just more cliff dwellings. I was way off on that one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wedding pics/story are here

Singapore: the durian taste test

evolution of y'all