Singapore: the durian taste test

Siewyee, my coworker, Singaporean tour guide/ambassador, took us to Bugis  market last night, to fulfil my mission of trying the Durian (aka 'the stinky fruit'). Singaporeans call it 'the king of all fruits', a delicacy.
All I knew was that the smell and taste are famous. You can smell a durian from 10 feet away.


Siewyee offers some Durian already shucked:


chris takes a bite:




reaction 1:




reaction 2:




brian takes a bite:




reaction (note chris is still gagging on the left side of the picture):




jim takes a bite:




reaction:





and it's done. the taste is like... i can't describe it. foul. and it stays with you for a while. we immediately rushed to get some indonesian barbeque as soon as the tasting was complete

Comments

  1. A braver man than I...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It tastes like a mixture of raw meat that is off and some really sour fruit. All marinated in sewer water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds absolutely revolting. Why do people eat it if it's so gross? I thought I remembered reading that it smelled awful but tasted good - but apparently I read wrong!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wedding pics/story are here

graffiti